What tools do you use for design?
As for interaction design I mainly use Adobe XD now. I like its prototyping feature with AutoAnimate a lot. For more complex animations I use AfterEffects. Everything vector related I create in Illustrator, sometimes Affinity Designer on the iPad.
What do you use for illustrations?
Procreate and Adobe Fresco on the iPad and Photoshop for final adjustments and getting everything ready for print.
What did you study?
I have a B.S. degree in Media Business (mostly business administration or BWL if you’re German) and a M.A. in Media and Communication Science, which was very research heavy (lots of interviews, surveys & content analysis). This basically brought to UX design. However everything that is visual design related I am self taught. I started experimenting with and teaching myself HTML and CSS in 7th grade and already run an Anime/Manga trading card website when I was 13 years old 🙂
Any tips for improving in visual design?
My favorite tip, and actually also one of the first exercises we do in the DesignLab UI course, is to copy another interface that you like (you can find many nice ones on Dribbble.com). By copying you will learn about sizing, proportions, spacing, colors and much more. After time, the more you try out, you’ll start to have a little library in your head, for example different ways of navigation, cards, or buttons. The more you practice and experiment with new styles, the less overwhelming it’ll be when starting on a blank canvas.
Where does your stuff come from?
All of my fine art prints are made locally here in Berlin, Germany. Stickers may come from the UK and Sweden.
Is your packaging good for the planet?
Yup. All of my packaging (cardboard boxes and envelopes) are made out of 100% recycled materials. Any clear bags are plant based (PLA) and certified compostable.
What payment methods do you offer?
I currently accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover.
How often do you ship orders?
The time I need to pack your order is around 3 business days. I usually ship orders once a week.
How long does shipping usually take?
It depends mostly on the post offices (mine and your local post office), the weather and current mail volume. But from experience, these are the estimated shipping times:
- Germany : 2 – 4 business days
- United States: up to up to 14 business days
- Europe: 2-5 business days
- Australia, New Zealand, Oceania: 10 – 14 business days
- Asia: 2 – 4 weeks
If you want to know where your order currently is, I suggest to select “tracked shipping” at the checkout.
As a buyer you are also responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I’m not responsible for delays due to customs.
Which carrier do you use?
I ship all orders using Deutsche Post.
Do you accept returns?
I gladly accept returns.
- Contact me via email within: 7 days of delivery
- Ship items back within: 14 days of delivery
The following items can’t be returned or exchanged:
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can’t accept returns for:
- Custom or personalized orders
- Perishable products (like food or flowers)
- Digital downloads
- Intimate items (for health/hygiene reasons)
- Items on sale
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Do you accept exchanges?
I don’t. But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
What information do you collect?
To fulfil your order, you must provide me with certain information, such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom order, for example), if you contact me directly.
Why do you need my information and how do you use it?
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
- as necessary for the purpose of my legitimate interests, if those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests, such as providing and improving my services. I use your information to provide the services you requested and in my legitimate interest to improve my services.
Do you share personal information?
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
For how long do you retain my personal information?
Do you transfer personal information outside of the EU?
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
What are my rights?
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How do I contact you?
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Ulrike Mahnke, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at email@example.com. Alternately, you may mail me at: Ulrike Mahnke, c/o RA Matutis, Berliner Straße 57, 14467 Potsdam, Germany. Again, this address is NOT for returns. If you wish to return anything, please contact me via email and you will receive further instructions.